2012-05-15 / Front Page

OCHGS Program To Focus On History Of Poland Chapel And Community Of Poland

by Jason Kinney
OCHGS President


Poland Chapel was built in 1869 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The beautiful and quaint chapel has been meticulously restored by the Poland community. 
(Courtesy Photos by Jason Kinney) Poland Chapel was built in 1869 and placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1990. The beautiful and quaint chapel has been meticulously restored by the Poland community. (Courtesy Photos by Jason Kinney) This month’s Owen County Historical and Genealogical Society (OCHGS) educational program will be held Sunday, May 20th, at the Poland Historical Chapel beginning at 3:00 p.m. A panel of local residents will present the fascinating history of the chapel and the town of Poland. This program is free and open to the public.

Poland is located in Clay County, about onehalf mile west of the Owen County line. The town was settled in the 1820s and platted in 1841. The chapel was built in 1869 as the Poland Presbyterian Church. The record of the last church service was in 1927. On June 12, 1966, a group of Poland community residents met at the church building to make plans and appoint committees to restore the church as a historic landmark.

This was the beginning of the Poland Historical Chapel Society. The church restoration was a part of the Indiana Sesquicentennial Celebration and to commemorate the 100th anniversary of the building. The community restored the chapel again in the late 1980s. The beautiful quaint building was placed on the National Register of Historic Places by the U.S. Department of the Interior in 1990.

In 2009 the Poland community began an extensive restoration of the chapel, which was completed in 2011. Well-known Owen County contractor Mike Bruner led the work required to repair and restore the chapel.

Poland and its history are significant to both Clay and Owen Counties. Many people in northwestern Owen County have ties with Poland. One of Poland’s rural routes reaches deep into Owen County, extending east to Cunot and south through Jordan Village to Fish Creek Road, out onto State Road 46 and back through Vandalia.

Sunday’s program is cosponsored by the Poland Historical Chapel Society, which was formed in 1966 and incorporated in 1967 to restore, preserve, and maintain the chapel. The Chapel Society is providing the panel of speakers who will discuss the history of Poland and the chapel. Items of historical interest will be on display.

Everyone is welcome to attend. Plan to enjoy a peaceful and scenic Sunday drive and visit this beautiful historic landmark.

Poland is located on State Road 42. For more information about the program contact OCHGS President Jason Kinney at 812-829-9810, or email: jakinney@umail.iu.edu.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2012-05-15 digital edition