2013-12-03 / Front Page

Neighbors, Firefighters Respond To Mobile Home Fire Friday Night

Staff Report

Firefighters from the Poland Community Volunteer Fire Department (PCVFD) are attributing a quick stop to an early Friday evening mobile home fire to the assistance of good samaritan neighbors.

Firemen responded to the scene on Private Road 570 West in Jackson Township shortly after 5:00 p.m., encountering fire and smoke coming from the front door and from beneath the home.

“While preparing to make entry into the home family members informed us they believed their son and his little brother were still inside the house at the time, leading to an interior search and rescue initiated,” PCVFD Captain Chris Nees said. “During the search no person was found, but a family pet was located and rescued by the interior search team.”

The children were soon located, unharmed.

“The fire was brought under control and extinguished within approximately 10 minutes of our arrival, but one contributing factor to a quick stop were neighbors using a garden house, spraying underneath the trailer to try keep the fire in check upon the arrival of our first engine,” Nees added.

Approximately 15 percent of the home sustained fire and smoke damage, which was attributed to a space heater falling over onto the floor, causing an electrical shortage.

There were no reports of injuries to firemen, however, two bystanders were treated by Owen County EMS after attempting to locate the missing child before firefighters arrived.

The PCVFD was assisted by the Cataract VFD, Owen County EMS, and the Owen County Sheriff’s Department.

Return to top

Click here for digital edition
2013-12-03 digital edition